Thursday, June 9, 2016

HEARTBROKEN 2

Not again. This cannot be happening again.

It has barely been a year wince we lost my beloved grandmother. I tell you what. When you are a South African living a world apart from the family you have left behind there is never any good news that comes with an early morning phone call. More bad news.

07/06/2016 @ 05:20am I stirred in my sleep as I received a call from my dad. "Mark Delport" showing on my caller ID. It took me a while to rouse from my sleep and realise that my father was trying to get hold of me. After I had somewhat fully woken up my heart dropped as I answered that call. I wish I could go back in time but that is simply not possible. I wish I did not have to the person to answer that call. Wish that it could have happened to someone else (as narcissistic as that is).

My beloved grandfather may you find eternal rest in God's loving embrace. I know that you have gone to a better place. I know that you have moved on to be with your loving wife and all our family that has gone before us but I miss you. I have always missed you. We said good-bye in December 2015. I hugged you and cried on your shoulder as I said farewell knowing that it would be my last. I had however, had not expected to see you go so soon.

When we saw you in December to bury Granny you had a spring in your step that was refreshing. A step like you had regained a whole new life.

There is so much I would like to say Oupie but for now I feel like words have left me. I am numb and am slowly coming to terms with your loss.

My beloved Oupie, 
I find myself lost for words. This is too soon. I had not expected to have to share memories again so soon. Over the many years we have been blessed to share together we have made so many memories. 
One thing that is abundantly clear, everyone agrees that you are a caring, kind and loving man. So many people who knew you and Granny have pretty much all said the same thing about the both of you. They all have their own memories but I think those that we shared were extra special. 
I know that I have to keep this short, but how is that possible when there are so many memories that I would like to share. Let us start at the very beginning, a very good place to start. 
My earliest memories of you Oupie consist of after school running through the little corn field/vegetable patch you had at St Luke Rd. Consistently I can remember spending hours in the garden with you tending to the flowers and killing crickets. You even taught me how to ride a bicycle. 
I can remember summer holidays with you. Learning how to knit and playing rummy. I miss playing rummy with you. Both you and Granny made sure that all your grandkids never had a shortage of jerseys. Evenings spending time watching 7 de Laan, you would make each of the kids coffee. I wish I could replicate that coffee. 
Over the past 36 hours we have all shared many memories of you with each other. Remembering the little things that make you special to us.
We may have another angel in heaven but Oupie we will never forget you and I can guarantee that we will be sharing our memories for a long time to come. I love you my dearest Oupie. I miss you. Forever in our hearts may you find eternal rest.

Rest in peace my beloved grandpappy. I love you xo

No comments:

Post a Comment